US President Donald Trump said on Saturday he is raising the worldwide tariffs on goods entering the United States from 10 per cent to 15pc “effective immediately,” a day after the Supreme Court largely struck down his sweeping duties.
Trump said on his Truth Social platform that after a thorough review of Friday’s “extraordinarily anti-American decision” by the court to rein in his tariff programme, the administration was hiking the import levies “to the fully allowed, and legally tested, 15pc level”.
“During the next short number of months, the Trump Administration will determine and issue the new and legally permissible Tariffs, which will continue our extraordinarily successful process of Making America Great Again — GREATER THAN EVER BEFORE,” he said in his post.
Infuriated by the court’s ruling, Trump on Friday ordered an immediate 10pc tariff on all imports, in addition to any existing tariffs.
The law allows him to impose a levy of up to 15pc for 150 days, although it could face legal challenges.
The conservative-majority court ruled the emergency powers law — International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA) — “does not authorise the President to impose tariffs”, marking Trump’s biggest defeat at the SC since returning to the White House last year.
While hard-hit Canada welcomed the ruling pointing out the levies were always “unjustified”, other US trading partners particularly European powers were cautious in their response, with the UK, Germany and EU stating that they were in contact with the Trump administration and analysing the court decision ‘carefully’.
Trump has leveraged tariffs — taxes on imported goods — as a key economic and foreign policy tool. They have been central to a global trade war that Trump initiated after he began his second term as president, one that has alienated trading partners, affected financial markets and caused global economic uncertainty.
Trump’s tariffs were forecast to generate over the next decade trillions of dollars in revenue for the United States, which possesses the world’s largest economy.
However, Trump’s administration has not provided tariff collection data since Dec 14, 2025.




