Carlos Alcaraz arrived in Qatar after a trip to pre-season F1 testing in Bahrain in the wake of his Australian Open triumph. Photo: AFP
DOHA:
Carlos Alcaraz made a triumphant return to action following his Australian Open success as he beat Arthur Rinderknech 6-4, 7-6 (7/5) in the first round in Doha on Tuesday.
Alcaraz, who became the youngest man to complete a career Grand Slam with his victory in Melbourne, saw off the 30th-ranked Rinderknech in two closely contested sets.
“It was really difficult. Arthur is a really dangerous player. Nobody wants to play against him in the first round,” said Alcaraz.
“I’m happy with the level. I’m happy that I got through difficult moments in the match. I’m happy that I stayed calm and positive, and played great tennis.”
The world number one will face another Frenchman in round two, 60th-ranked Valentin Royer.
Alcaraz took the first set after breaking in the fifth game but faced dogged resistance from Rinderknech, who brought up his first break points of the match with the top seed serving to force a tie-break in the second set.
The Spaniard saved both and then closed out victory in the tie-break, ripping a forehand down the line on match point.
Alcaraz’s chief rival Jannik Sinner is on the other side of the draw. No player other than Alcaraz or Sinner has won a tour-level title at an event featuring both of them since Andrey Rublev lifted the trophy in Madrid in May 2024.
Rublev booked his place in the second round with a straight-forward 6-4, 6-3 victory over Dutchman Jesper De Jong.
Alcaraz, who lost in the quarter-finals on his Qatar Open debut a year ago, could face one of three former champions in the draw, Karen Khachanov, in the last eight if he gets past Royer on Wednesday.
Seventh seed Khachanov needed three sets to overcome Japanese lucky loser Shintaro Mochizuki, while Stefanos Tsitsipas downed Tunisian wild card Moez Echargui to line up a meeting with 2023 winner Daniil Medvedev.
Jiri Lehecka, who knocked Alcaraz out of last year’s tournament, swept past American Jenson Brooksby in straight sets in his opening match.
Gauff, Rybakina cruise into Dubai
Coco Gauff bounced back from her shock early exit in Doha last week with a comfortable victory over Anna Kalinskaya in Dubai on Tuesday, while Elena Rybakina opened her campaign with a dominant win.
The American, who lost to lucky loser Elisabetta Cocciaretto in her opening match in Qatar, made no such mistake against Kalinskaya, easing through the second-round tie 6-4, 6-4.
Gauff will face Belgian Elise Mertens in the last 16 of the WTA 1000 event.
The two-time Grand Slam champion created headlines earlier this week for comments about anti-immigration policies in the United States, saying: “I don’t think people should be dying in the streets for just existing.”
Gauff struggled at times in Dubai, serving 12 double-faults, but broke Russian Kalinskaya’s serve six times to emerge victorious from a scrappy encounter.
“It wasn’t the prettiest one, but it was enough for today,” said Gauff, seeded third.
“It was pretty windy. I was just trying to adjust — both of us were struggling with consistency on the court.”
Australian Open champion and top seed Rybakina put on an imposing display as she brushed past Kimberly Birrell 6-1, 6-2 in just 60 minutes on court.
“Overall, I’m happy with the result, with the match, and now I just need to rest and prepare for tomorrow,” Rybakina said after getting back to winning ways following a quarter-final exit in last week’s Qatar Open.
The Kazakh will take on Croatian lucky loser Antonia Ruzic in the last 16, following her 6-1, 6-7 (2/7), 6-1 victory over Anastasia Zakharova.
Mirra Andreeva and Belinda Bencic were both beneficiaries of second-round walkovers.
Russian teenager Andreeva, who received a first-round bye, will face Romanian Jaqueline Cristian for a quarter-final place after Daria Kasatkina pulled out of their match with a hip injury.
In-form Czech youngster Sara Bejlek, who won a title in Abu Dhabi earlier this month, also withdrew with an abdominal injury, handing Bencic a spot in round three.
The Swiss player will next face seventh seed Elina Svitolina, who progressed to the round of 16 after her opponent, Paula Badosa, retired after losing the opening set.
American fourth seed Jessica Pegula cruised through with a 6-4, 6-0 thrashing of Varvara Gracheva and will next play compatriot Iva Jovic.
Alexandra Eala beat sixth seed Jasmine Paolini 6-1, 7-6 (7/5) to set up a meeting in the next round with Sorana Cirstea.
The tournament in Dubai, one of the 10 WTA 1000 events, has been severely hit by the withdrawals of world number one Aryna Sabalenka and six-time Grand Slam champion Iga Swiatek.




